Here I will explain how my application development experience can be applied to your business to yield greater productivity and reduce wasted time. I work in the Cleveland, Ohio USA area and I have helped small and medium size companies become more efficient.
A software developer who possesses years of experience puts customer satisfaction on the fast track. When a program needs to be created to solve a problem or launch a new business initiative, application development experience throws everything into high gear. It drastically reduces mistakes in the undertaking of a software design project. Learning curves seldom enter the picture. Seasoned experience pulls it all together and keeps customers happy.
Let's say you are running a catering business. You are having to spend a lot of time working up cross tabulation sheets by hand so your employees will know how much of each food product to produce for various engagements. The exact amount of each ingredient in a particular food product must be added up and then multipled by the number to be produced. If this had to be done for 50 different food items for a catering engagement, then you can easily see how ardous, labor intensive and ultimately pricey this would become! Certainly you would be thinking of much better ways you could be spending that time looking for new catering customers and expanding the services of the business.
If I were to approach the above mentioned scenario, I would proceed something like this:
- Identify areas in the software where time is being wasted, thereby creating more work.
- Offer verbal software recommendations to key company personnel to correct the identified problem(s).
- Prepare a more detailed flowchart of how the verbal software recommendations would take shape as a customized software solution.
- Discuss the prepared logic flow of the flowchart with key company personnel to make sure we are in agreement on the major points on how to proceed with the design of the proposed customized software implementation. This would also entail making needed, specific revisions to the flowchart proposal.
- Begin design of the software solution while working closely with key company personnel to make sure the design is unfolding as planned and incorporating minor additions and changes throughout the process.
- At the end of the design process, again review the design with key company personnel and incorporate any minor alterations that are necessary to fine tune the software for optimal performance.
- Start running the new software package in parallel with the old software. This is the stage where initial issues/bugs/defects are ironed out.
- After the new software is running with few or no problems, transition over to the new system and retire the old software package.
While I may not understand the ins and outs of your business, I do understand how to use customized software solutions to dramatically reduce productivity headaches in the workplace. This problem materializes in one of two ways:
- Existing software packages that are wasting time and eroding productivity.
- No software packages at all.
Here is a listing of modules I have designed software for. I can apply my experience to other ideas you have as well.
- Accounts receivable
- Accounts payable
- Chart of accounts
- Check writing
- Database applications
- Exporting data
- Importing data
- Job costing
- Order entry
- Sales reporting
- Websites, created and modified
My background encompasses another facet besides having designed a number of business programs as listed above. I am also good at listening to what business owners and managers want. When you think about it, this is really the mortar that holds this process together. The most skilled software designer in the world will get nowhere fast if he or she can't understand what people are really communicating about their business software predicament. And obviously it is bad business for the programmer because customers will look for another who can relate to their problem and offer viable ways to solve it. Without understanding the root of the problem, there can be no successful end result.
My experience as a software designer can be put to work for your business today. Please use my email and phone contact page to get in touch with me so we can talk about your project ideas!